Brown Sugar Cookies
from Joy the Baker, originally from Epicurious
Makes 2 1/2 dozen
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1 1/2 sticks (6 ounces) unsalted butter, softened
1 1/4 cups dark brown sugar
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 large egg
1. Whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and ginger in a medium bowl, and set aside.
2. In a stand mixer mix together the brown sugar and butter on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 3 to 5 minutes. Scrape down the sides of the bowl, add the egg and vanilla extract, and beat on medium speed for one more minute.
3. Add the dry ingredients all at once to the sugar mixture, and beat on low speed just until the dough comes together and the flour disappears. Stop the mixer, and finish incorporating the ingredients with a spatula. Cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
4. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and place a rack in the center. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Dollop tablespoon balls of dough on the baking sheets, and couple of inches apart from each other.
5. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, or until lightly browned around the edges.
6. Cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes, and then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- The cookies will last about 5 days if stored in an airtight container.