Saturday, May 21, 2011

Migas

So I've been making a lot of enchiladas lately (if two types in two weeks equals a lot that is), and so I had some leftover corn tortillas that were about to go to waste.  I really hate to waste food, and so I decided I should make something with them... there weren't enough for more enchiladas, and so the second thought that came to mind was to make migas- something I've been wanting to try to make forever!  I went with a Tex-Mex version which traditionally is pretty much eggs scrambled with corn tortillas, cheese, chiles, salsa, and some other ingredients- like cilantro, for example, and is traditionally a breakfast dish.  After searching for a good recipe to try, I came upon one on Chaos in the Kitchen that was linked through Tastespotting (if you haven't been to this website I highly recommend it- fair warning though- it will make you VERY hungry!).  This was excellent and just what I was craving!



Migas

Serves 2-3

Ingredients:
6 eggs
1/4 cup milk
1 tbsp oil
2 cups corn tortilla chips or chopped corn tortillas
1 bunch green onions (green and white parts) or 1/2 onion, diced
2 jalapenos, diced (can be de-seeded, depending on how spicy you like your food)
2 oz melting cheese, shredded (i.e. Cheddar, Colby, or Jack)
1 cup fresh salsa 
1 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
Salt and pepper

Directions:
1. In a mixing bowl combine eggs and milk, beat lightly with a fork.
2. Heat oil in a heavy skillet over medium heat.
3. Fry tortillas in oil until crisp and starting to brown.  Add onions and jalapenos.  Saute until soft.  Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
4. Pour egg mixture into the pan with tortillas and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
5. Stir eggs gently until soft-set.  Sprinkle with cheese and stir to combine. 
6. Make a well in the center of the skillet and add salsa.
7. Allow salsa to warm up in the center of the skillet for a minute before gently stirring in the egg mixture.
8. Taste, and season with salt and pepper to your liking.  Turn off the heat and stir in fresh cilantro.
9. Serve immediately.


Notes:  
  • I didn't have any fresh salsa or ingredients to make fresh salsa in my apartment, so I used a generic salsa that I had in the fridge, and it was good, but not quite as good as I imagine it would be with fresh salsa.  Next time I make this I will definitely be making fresh salsa to stir in!  I imagine that red and green salsa would be equally delicious, but  I'm leaning toward Tomatillo salsa for my next batch.  
  • When crisping up the corn tortillas I actually ended up adding a little more oil than it called for, as the tortillas began sticking a bit.  I'm not sure whether this was due to the size of the skillet that I used (12.5 inch), but in any case, I wouldn't worry if you need to add a little more oil.  Even though mine stuck a bit, they didn't end up burning.


4 comments:

  1. These look great! I really love Migas. I will definitely have to give these a try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They were excellent! This is the first time I've made them myself, but they were super-easy and much more interesting and filling than regular scrambled eggs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. well emily i am very impressed with your new blog! i will definitely give some of your recipes a try. you always intrigue me to try new foods. i will be back often!

    ReplyDelete