Sunday, September 4, 2011

Chincoteague Island, Virginia

It's been a couple weeks since I've been back from my wonderful vacation but for some reason it's taken me a little while to settle in as I jumped right back into work, and then we were hit by hurricane Irene.  Thankfully it only left me in the dark for less than 24 hours with no other damage done, but it's still taken a little while for things to get back to normal.  I actually have yet to do a real shopping, as with the hurricane coming up we tried to use as much randomness in the fridge as possible, and then we had to go shopping afterwards to replace things that had spoiled in the fridge during the outage.  So it's been a lot of basic cooking during the past couple weeks- I did make a great pesto though with basil from my garden which I will share shortly.

I wanted to post some pics of my vacation as I jump back into blogging, a lot of which are pictures of things I ate on vacation, because of course that was one of my main enjoyments.  Unfortunately I didn't get pics of a lot of things, such as an awesome soft-shell crab BLT I devoured, or any of the delectable sandwiches I enjoyed from Woody's Beach BBQ (definitely a highlight of the trip- that and a small seafood store called Gary Howard's, were rivals in the places-I-ate-at-most tournament).

Oh by the way, my vacation was in Chincoteague Island, Virginia- a very relaxing and wonderful small town famous for it's wild horses- some of which I did see, including some pretty close up grazing in a field while kayaking.

Morning reading on my dream porch.


Assateague Light


Full Moon

A new friend

An incoming storm


Our neighbor



Our dock


The beach
Great Blue
Baja Shrimp Taco from Woody's Beach BBQ
Shucking Corn

Roasted potatoes, corn on the cob, and flounder with chile lime butter


Loot from the Farmer's Market


Steamed clams


New England Clam Chowder

Great Gazpacho

Fresh crabs caught off our dock

Bloody Marys

Pasta with tomato, basil, and Parmesan and Homemade Crab Cakes

Root Beer Floats

Awesome Crab Frittata,  Asparagus Beans, and Fried Eggplant






3 comments:

  1. I hope you'll write a post about the gazpacho! Twas very tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So funny I found you. I'm a blogger who is from Chincoteague, but now live a smidgen further north in Pocomoke. Glad you enjoyed the island! I'll definitely be back soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Michelle- I will definitely be posting about it! Actually, I'll put it up in just a few minutes :)

    Laura- You are so lucky!! It's one of my favorite places I've vacationed in! Thanks for reading :)

    ReplyDelete